JLeighBralick

Brandon Sanderson
Fortune's Pawn
Rachel Bach

Mistborn: The Final Empire

Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson Wow. I kind of wish I had discovered this book a whole lot earlier.

I really, really enjoyed this story. The characters were rich and well-imagined, and all of them endearing in their own way. Vin was so believable as a heroine, and Kelsier...well, he was just amazing too. In some ways he reminded me a bit of a cross between Howl in Howl's Moving Castle and Spike from Cowboy Bebop. I don't know why. But I love those characters.

There were so many things about this story to love. The unexpected premise, the unique system of Allomancy, the dismal but richly explored world, the unlikely group of heroes, the complexities of the plot -- intrigue, roguery, corruption, betrayal, failure, success...delicious. From fairly early on I thought I had figured out some secrets about the background story...and then...just when I thought my presumptions had been confirmed...Sanderson blew them all away. That was absolutely fabulous. I love being surprised.

There were times when the descriptions of Allomantic battles got a bit tiresome, just trying to keep track of all the Pushing and Pulling on this or that object with this or that metal. But even without trying to keep all the exact particulars visualized in my imagination, the accounts still gave me enough anchor to see some truly spectacular battles.

On the one hand, I did feel a little bit betrayed by the way the story played out. Somehow I was expecting this to be the sort of story where the heroes are completely...I don't know...normal, or even a little less noble than the average run of men. But this isn't just a crew of cunning, talented, and resourceful thieves. There is something special about them that sets them apart from others. But that might just be a problem caused by my expectations. I'm not entirely sure where I got those expectations in the first place. But they are such believable, such real characters that I can get over it...in fact, I might have been disappointed if my expectations were met.

Now I can't wait to read the next book...especially with the question we are left with at the ending of this one. Fabulous.