JLeighBralick

Brandon Sanderson
Fortune's Pawn
Rachel Bach

Legend

Legend - Marie Lu This was a fun, enjoyable read, though perhaps not as satisfying as it could have been. I think the problem I have with a lot of YA dystopias out right now is that they don't feel plausible to me. This book falls victim to that fate, unfortunately. I couldn't buy the world and the shocking (but predictable) revelation. Is just didn't convince me.

Also, while I didn't dislike the characters, I found their perfection to be a little nauseating. Not only are they the smartest and most beautiful and the best at everything, but they also don't have any character flaws. That is always highly annoying to me. ALSO, not only are they both most perfect, beautiful, smart, loyal, heroic, talented, capable 15-year-olds of all time, they also sound exactly the same. Their narratives are indistinguishable. While I could excuse that in the Scorpio Races, where the narrative was also gorgeous and atmospheric, etc. etc., I just didn't feel it went so well in this one. The one distinction I seem to recall is June's penchant for relaying details in (parentheticals) in strange places. But that's not a big distinction.

Not to mention....did any of these adults in authority think for a second that it might be a bad idea to send lonely, beautiful, smart, talented 15-year-old Girl on a hunt for lonely, beautiful, smart, talented 15-year-old Boy? And trust that their respective senses of honor and duty would prevail in the face of raging teenage hormones? (At least, I'll give June credit for having at least some interest in Day besides his "angelic" face...being fascinated by his criminal history and all. But Day is pretty much locked in the "She's pretty! I love her!" trope so common these days).

Also slightly annoying was how, whenever anything exciting was about to happen for one character, we switch POVs and only see the aftermath of said excitement through the other character's eyes. Like when Day's execution time is moved up, and June isn't sure if she'll be able to coordinate the rescue attempt in time, we don't get to see any of her adjustments or frantic efforts to get everyone together in time. We just switch to Day, and miraculously (mysteriously), everything has more or less been pulled together. Well....HOW?!

Not to mention we seriously need more world-building. The characters know about Union Pacific railway cars but don't know there used to be a United States At least, I think that's what Day's pendant was all about, that it was proof that the U.S.A. once existed?? The world has apparently advanced technology like fancy guns with location trackers on them, but still uses things like motorcycles and the Internet (accessible and hackable by personal computers)? When does this take place? There isn't even an attempt at giving a year to situate us.

But, like I said, it was fun and breezy enough, and I am ambivalent enough about the characters that I'll probably give the series a second chance when the next one comes out.