JLeighBralick

Brandon Sanderson
Fortune's Pawn
Rachel Bach

Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo Not entirely sure what I thought about this one. I enjoyed it for the most part, though it was rather predictable, but the ending left me incredibly dissatisfied. The pseudo-Russianness was a bit annoying to me, because it was rather shallow and inaccurate (if this was their native language, why were certain words written out as if they were foreign??), not to mention the dialogue sounded like it belonged to modern American teenagers. It just kind of threw me for a loop any time one of the characters said "okay" or something along those lines. Characters need to feel like they grow organically from their culture and environment, and that unfortunately wasn't true here.

However, it was a fairly fun read, and I finished it in less than 24 hours, so that says something. The settings were described in a vivid enough way, but some other elements weren't described at all (or vaguely and far too late -- like what a kefta looks like). My one last complaint is that I wish...wish...WISH Bardugo had kept the one mildly complex character complex until the end. But no, after the predictable revelation, this character went flat as a pancake. *sigh*

My final complaint is that the ending of the book felt forced into being a non-ending simply for the sake of allowing a series. The non-resolution of the climax -- when there was no reason for the climax NOT to have been resolved at that point in time -- felt fake and cheap to me. I might read the next one, but like I said, the only character I found very interesting has been pancaked, so.