JLeighBralick

Brandon Sanderson
Fortune's Pawn
Rachel Bach

The Artifex

The Artifex - S.K. Valenzuela Wow. Just wow. There are no words to describe all the FEELS of this book! What a gripping, intense, heart-rending, uplifting, glorious end to a riveting series. Last books of series always run the risk of disappointing readers...it's so hard to bring things to a closure that is satisfying and complete. Not so here. This book definitely delivers. I think it is hands-down my favorite in the series...for so many reasons.

You know how sometimes in series, characters seem to change inexplicably from one book to the next? Or sometimes they never seem to change or grow at all? I fell in love with Sahara and Jared in [b:The Outworlder|11955237|The Outworlder (Silesia, #1)|S.K. Valenzuela|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1356122444s/11955237.jpg|16917329] and watching their characters grow and change, suffer, fail, and rise again has been one of the most emotionally-satisfying book journeys I've been on in a long time. There has always been a psychological element to the Silesia trilogy, and watching that play out in Sahara and Jared's lives is incredibly fascinating.

This book also does a remarkable job of tying together the entire series. We learn so much about Silesia, about the Dragon-Lords, about Sahara, Jared and Deor's pasts...all those little threads woven throughout the series now come together and you can see the pattern of the whole (and it's seriously a "Whooaaaa" moment). The ouroboros dragon emblem on the cover is incredibly fitting for this series...there really is a sense of coming full-circle, in so many ways...though not in the sense that we end up where we started, without any change. The ouroboros is the symbol of rebirth, of the cycle of order and chaos, of wholeness, of life and death. The way these themes play out in this story is beautiful and at times astonishing, and so poignant.

It's sad to see this series come to an end. The ending is so perfect...but it is still an ending, and I hate saying goodbye to friends.